Monday, July 18, 2011

Who needs Netflix, anyway?

So the secret's out. Netflix sorta sucks.

I just dropped my membership after about a year of consistently having almost $11 drawn from my checking account when Netflix insists my membership level is just a low $7.99 (hidden fees, I always just assumed). Then, in an attempt to manipulate its customers to its on-demand option, I guess it decided to raise its fees to penalize those who, like me, couldn't be bothered to hook up my computer to my television.

I like it much more simple than that: Pop the DVD into my little DVD player, configure one of my three remote controls to the AV setting and then switch to another remote control to engage the DVD, a third controls the volume ... that's about as complicated as I'm willing to get. Maybe the computer-to-television thing is more simple, it's just that I'm an old dog and I like as few new tricks as possible.

So, with no hard feelings I cancelled my membership, but allegedly raised rates weren't the only reason.

1. It almost takes an act of Congress for me to sit through a single movie anymore. It almost always takes me two nights, and by the second night I've usually lost interest in finishing the DVD. Same with TV. I don't think it's my attention span shrinking, I think it's the offerings, but that's another subject altogether. Whatever the reason, I'm not getting my money's worth as it is.

2. The concept of ordering online - all things: furniture, food, entertainment, clothing - started to bother me a little. I'm as antisocial as the next guy, believe me, but human contact is definitely shrinking. Yeah, it saves time so you can spend it with those you really want to see, but I started missing some of these hands-on experiences, that face-to-face contact with a stranger, asking for advice and getting it from someone in this country.

3. At the same time, I could see this brave new world of commerce really taking its hold on me. The novelty would become the norm, and, left to my own devices I'd evolve into a shut-in. If I had enough self-discipline and aggression, I'd earn my entire living as a writer. I can see myself now, perched in front of a computer, cell phone in hand...something would definitely be missing from those interviews. I'd stop dressing, and hell, my hygiene would probably not be the priority it is now.

I heard there's even an "app" for texting in your confession - to what? An e-priest? Cyber-Vatican?  I'd never have to leave the house.

4. Getting back to point number 2, there's that old "buy-local" argument. When you order your books online from Amazon, or you order your movies from Netflix, the vast majority of that revenue goes somewhere else (unless, of course, you live in Seattle, or wherever else these Internet-based businesses call home). No one needs to be preached at regarding this argument - it's been around since before Wal-Mart overtook retail. So much of big box shopping or online is unavoidable anyway, but in times like this - and certainly in Detroit - it bears remembering: Buying local helps our local economy.

So I'm going to Thomas Video the next time I want to rent a movie. It's a hip place on Rochester Road in Royal Oak with vintage televisions all over the place, an enormous collection, and very cool, knowledgeable guys working there. They deserve my business. They work hard for it.

And they've always been much more helpful than the lame-ass DVD recommendations Netflix ever gave me based on my own poor choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment